When nostalgia strikes hard
So here I am, waiting at Chatrapati Shivaji International
Airport, sipping my overpriced cold coffee at starbucks. I still have over 5
hours to kill.
I always feel nostalgic whenever I visit Mumbai. Even though
I don’t really have too many memories associated with this city, those purple
and white state buses plying on the highway takes me back to the time I would
visit Pune to meet my then girlfriend Pooja. It is her birthday tomorrow and today, I am a nothing but a stranger from her
past.
As soon as I stepped out of the airport this morning, I was
fishing for food; I was as hungry as a whale. I ordered for a simple ‘Masala
Dosa’ and my co-traveller ordered for a ‘Pav Bhaji’.
“Are you sure you want to eat Pav Bhaji as your first meal
of the day?” I asked sceptically. He simply looked at me and smiled broadly
acknowledging his choice.
My eyes settled on a board that read, ‘Fresh strawberry
milkshake’. Overwhelming memories poured in this restless mind of mine. This
meek sentence took me back to the strawberry fields of Mahableshwar (near
Pune), where I had once gone on a vacation with Pooja. We were so young back
then; young and in love. We were just two naïve tourists, roaming around
aimlessly through the strawberry fields, trying to steal some of those ripe
strawberries for the sake of thrill. Nothing ever really bothered us when we were
together with each other; the place had never been an important factor in our
lives, after all it was the companionship that we sought.
I remember teaching her how to shoot pictures on my DSLR
camera. At one point of time, she got so close to a strawberry, that I couldn’t
help but comment, “If you take the lens any further, the strawberry will feel
shy of getting clicked.”
She gave me a repulsed look and mimicked me like a small
child. I burst out into laughter. She even mimicked my laughter. That was her
most efficient way of getting back at me as she would often say that I laughed
like a person suffering from asthma. I was annoyed as usual, and just like
every other time, she knew how to make me feel better that very moment. She
laughed gleefully and came hopping towards me. She pulled my cheeks, rolled up
her eyes and said, “Aww my baby! Are you angry with me?” That’s all she ever
needed to do. I would melt instantaneously like ice on a bright sunny morning.
She held my left arm and said, “You are like one small kid Pukku (that’s what
she called me). A little bit of love, and you are all fine, and that’s what I
love the most about you. Always keep that child within you okay? I smiled
cheerfully and walked her back to the car.
Later on as we were getting into the cab, I excused myself
and quickly went back to the farmer’s retail shop nearby and bought her a box
of strawberries. Oh boy was she happy. I guess I got out the child in her as
well. She rested her head against my shoulder and munched on the strawberries
on our way back to Panchgani.
Today, as I sit outside this airport, munching up the free
cakes and tea offered by Starbucks, I couldn’t help but write about this
brilliant and beautiful woman who walked into my life and taught me all about
love, happiness and expression; most of all about bringing that child out in
me. I hope that someday I find someone like her and this time I get to keep her
forever. That is what she had wanted for me as well- finding that right person
who balances out ‘what is’ and ‘what could have been’.
So friends, this is the precise problem with emotional fools
like us. We move on, but never get over with the beautiful past, and even the
tiniest of triggers can pull us back to reminiscing over ‘what was’ and ‘what
could have been’.

Comments
Post a Comment